Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After fire has been put out by your local firefighters consider the following:
- Is it safe to stay in the home? Fire Department officials can let you know when entry is safe.
- Contact your utility providers (gas, electric, water) let them know you have experienced a fire loss.
- Look out for electrical and “slip and fall” hazards throughout the home.
- Call fire restoration professional for clean up and reconstruction 617-466-6909
- Call your insurance company to file a claim – ask for claim number
- Provide SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain/Roxbury with your claim number – we will take it from here!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (617) 466-6909
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.